Which historical elements have effected the numbers and nationalities of students over the past ten years?
Over the past 10 to 15 years a lot more pressure has been placed on education institutions to source revenue through overseas student enrolments due to industry competitiveness and changes to government funding. Additional elements which have impacted upon the numbers of overseas enrolment and nationalities include:
* ESOS Act and National Code - protecting international students
* Transnational Education - recognition for greater student diversity, raising Australia's profile, improving relationships, and availability of International Study Programs funded through the Australian Government
* AVCC Code of Practice
Are there any additional factors that have been influential?
* Seeking 'PR' status - points system
* Quality education - recognition of Australian qualifications worldwide
* Terrorism - Australian a recognised as a relatively 'safe place' in comparison to other destinations
* Tertiary entrance pathways
* Stronger relationships with offshore partners
* Australian culture - multicultural
Author: Tricia Hughes - PIER Online Diploma student